Rainbow Lodge offers retreat space for other non-profit organizations, churches, and school groups. We're a small organization with a dynamic team of individuals who care deeply about hospitality and service to others.
Food Service Manager
$42,500 plus housing/utilities & benefits
Job Title: Food Service Manager
Effective Date: ASAP
Reports to: Executive Director
Directly Supervises: Part-time Kitchen Staff (8 – 12 people)
Status: Full Time
Compensation: $42,500; private house w/utilities; health, dental, & pension plan, 2 weeks of paid vacation
The Food Services program at Rainbow Lodge strives to fulfill our organizational mission by providing all guests with wholesome, nutritious, and delicious meals. Nearly everything is made from scratch, using locally and ethically sourced ingredients when possible. Menus are tailor-made for each group and always include substantial and nutritious options for people with particular dietary needs. In addition, our team is passionate about retreat hospitality and its role in creating a more just and equitable world.
Quality food service is a core element of Rainbow Lodge’s mission of hospitality to its guests. The Food Service Manager will be expected to serve as the principal cook for all Rainbow Lodge events involving food service. They will oversee the operation of the kitchen, dining room, staffing, and on-site food inventories/ordering. They will also be responsible for cultivating new ideas to grow food revenues and offerings.
The work schedule of the Food Service Manager varies by season; however, the weekends are the busiest. Therefore, the Food Service manager must be flexible and available to work varying days/hours throughout the week while maintaining an appropriate number of days off. Schedules may be made in advance to allow for appropriate days off and vacations.
During periods of no food service, hours will be filled by future planning for a growing center and assisting other departments.
We are seeking a member of our management team who will deeply care about the mission of Rainbow Lodge and build a food service staff that will provide excellent care to our guests through caring for their food needs. The Food Service manager will be asked to be a strong independent worker who can cook and clean for groups up to 65. They will also be asked to be a vital member of the Rainbow Lodge team, welcoming guests and making them feel at home.
The Food Service Manager should be available to begin immediately. We have a dynamic kitchen staff awaiting their new leader!
Rainbow Lodge is an equal-opportunity employer and prioritizes diversity and inclusiveness.
● Along with the Executive Director, hire, train, schedule, and supervise a part-time staff that can work flexible hours to serve meals
● Be prepared and on time according to the meal schedule
● Be flexible to work long hours as groups come who need up to three meals a day
Nutritious and Delicious
● Plan and prepare group-appropriate meals and beverages
o Start all meals with whole ingredients whenever possible
o Emphasize vegetables and plant-based dishes
o Make all desserts and pastries from scratch
Clean Food Service Area
● Maintain kitchen and dining room cleanliness and food preparation at an A health score grading
● Schedule routine cleaning of refrigerators, ice makers, and other food service equipment to ensure proper cleanliness and function
● Prepare maintenance requests for improperly functioning equipment
● Develop and maintain a recycling/composting program that fits the kitchen system
● Create cost savings through the creative use of leftovers, use of existing inventory, quantity management, and other cost-saving methods
● Maintain equipment and food preparation utensils/small wares to avoid unnecessary purchasing
● Track food purchasing and use and prepare reports
● Utilize efficient staffing
● Take pride in the presentation of the food served
● Leave detailed prep lists for staff when not present
● Occasional group hosting
Rainbow Lodge strives to welcome all with love and kindness. Therefore, all employees of Rainbow Lodge are asked to provide the highest level of hospitality for all guests during their stay by being flexible, accommodating, and friendly.
● Licensed driver
● Preferred ServSafe certification or ability to acquire within 30 days of the start date
● Preferred at least a high school diploma or equivalent
● Work as scheduled to ensure optimum coverage, which often includes night and weekend work, on-call status, and work weeks that may exceed 40 hours
● The person in this position is required to move around the buildings and traverse the property
● Lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
● Setting up tables and chairs
● Repetitive movement and ascending and descending stairs
Core Behavioral Competencies
● Attention to Detail—Able to follow detailed procedures and ensure accuracy
● Commitment to Task—Able to take responsibility for actions and outcomes and persists despite obstacles. Demonstrates dependability under challenging circumstances and a sense of urgency about getting results.
● Coping—Able to maintain a solution-oriented approach while dealing with interruptions and interpersonal conflict
● Service Focus—Able to demonstrate a high level of service delivery. Able to be of service to difficult people. Deal effectively and proactively with service failures. Effectively prioritizes public needs.
● Flexibility—Able to perform a wide range of tasks and change focus quickly as demands change. Manage transitions effectively from task to task. Effectively adapts to varying public needs.
● Quality—Able to maintain high standards despite pressing deadlines. Does the work right the first time. Reinforces excellence as a fundamental priority
● Teamwork—Able to share due credit with coworkers. Displays enthusiasm and promotes a friendly group working environment. Works closely with other groups as necessary. Supports group decisions and solicits opinions from coworkers. Displays team spirit
Job Updated 5/9/2023